Pages

Thursday 16 September 2021

The Erebus Plane Crash.

 Predictions- 

What do I think I know about this disaster? 

All I know is that it occurred on November 28th 1979! And apprently there were no surviors!  

What do I think I will find about this disaster?

I wanna know how it happened because I don't actually know! 

Task 2- Read and rescearch


1. Where was the Flight 901 heading, and where was it planning to land?
Air New Zealand Flight 901 left auckland for a trip to Antractica. They were to fly over several islands, see McMurdo Staion and Scott base, and land in Christchurch after covering over 8,600 kilometres and flying for 11 hours.
2. What were the names of the pilot and co-pilot of flight 901?
Caption Jim Collins and co-pilot First officer Greg Cassin.
3. Why did the pilot ask to descend to 450 metres?
At 12:45 PM, the caption gained permission to descend to 450 metres, so his passengers could have a better view of the surroundings.
4. What reasons are given in the passage for why the crash occurred?
After an hour of radio silence, search planes were sent out but the wreckage wasn't spotted until after midnight. 
5. What time did the crash occurr?  
It happened at 12:49 PM.



Notes-
- Air New Zealand flight 901 crashed into mount erebus on ross island Antartica on November 28th 1979
- A mcdonnell douglas dc-10 carrying 257 passengers and crew dissapeared whilst on a sightseeing trip to the southern icy continent
- The aftermath of the crash was steeped in controversy and suspected corruption 
- The event on occasion is still talked about to this day 
- The continent of antartica is a vast icy dessert 
- Air New Zealand themselfs had said that the minimum altutide here was six thousand feet  
- The white of the ground and the white of the sky can blend causing spatial disorientation to pilots

This video is blocked for me so I couldn't find any notes from this sorry!

Last thing we had to do again was a venngage of the disaster! 
Here is mine! :) 



Hope you all enjoyed my post! Is there anything you know about this disaster that I didn't say? Other than that have a nice day! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.