Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2021

The Wahine.

Predictions-

What do I think I know about this disaster?

All I know for know is that the interisland ferry wahine struck the Barrett Reef in Welligton Harbour and overturned! How scary would that be!

What do I think I will find out about this disaster? 

I think I will find out good infomation like about on how the boat sank because I don't actually know on how the whole thing worked! 

                                                              Task 2 - Read and Reasearch

                                                                                                                                                                               1. What weather condtions casued the Wahine disaster?
The boat was casued by a fierce storm stirred by Tropical Cyclone Giselle.
2. Where was the Wahine travelling?
The Wahine began transporting for day and overnight trips between New Zealand's inter-island route between the ports of Welligton and Lyttelon in 1966.
3. How many lifeboats were able to reach land?
At 1:30 PM the abandon ship order was given but only four lifeboats could be launched, one of the lifeboats was immediatley sinking. So only three lifeboats reached!
4. What were passengers forced to do once the lifeboats were full?
When the three lifeboats reached to land the rest of the passngers were forced to jump into the sea and swim to shore. 
5. Why were rescuers unable to get to the shore?   
The rescue teams couldn't get through slips that blocked the roads so some people died on the shore. 
6. How many people died in the Wahine Disaster?
 A total of 51 people did die on board. 

Notes- 

-566 passngers and 110 crew were safe
- Fourty six bodies have been found and only six were missing
-  Searching for missing bodies is to continue for the next two days at least, and mountian clubs have been asked to help tomorrow and on Saturday and possibly Sunday to!
- The ship was carrying 68 cars and 25 tons of general cargo and had 144 mail aboard 
- Skin divers went out to the wreck today to have a good look at the ship and they have found that there's no sign of surviors aboard the Wahine
- 106 people were orignally sent to hospital but many have been discharged, one small boy is in a serious condition.


This video is actually blocked for me so I can't find any notes for this video sorry! 

Venngage 
The last thing we do is a venngage about the what happened and some facts about it or you could do a timeline about it!

Here is mine! :)

 

Hope you all liked my post! What's something you found intresing about the Wahine disaster! I hope you all have a good day!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.