Pages

Tuesday 10 August 2021

The Ballantynes Fire.

Predictions: 

What do I think I know about this disaster?

I know it happened on 18th November, 1947. I have been to ballantynes before so I defentinly know it happened in Chrischuch.

What do I think I will find out about this disaster?

I think I will find out facts about like if people died because I don't really know what happened that much I only know when it happened so I think i'll find really good facts!
 
Task 2  - Read & Resrearch 


 
1. People were severed by waitresses in aprons and caps, expensive clothes were sold and ladies wore hats and gloves. It was a designer store. 

2. Christchurch 

3. November 18th, 1947 at 3.46pm.

4. They had no smoke alarms or evacution plans. The downstairs workers thought it was just a small cellar fire so didn't tell the people upstairs.

5. 41 workers died in the fire Two people jumped from the verandah and were unconcious but recoverd

6. Fire drills and fire alarms.



Notes -
- 46 persons missing in additon to those dead
- worst fire in NZ history 
- Army and airforce helped the fireman, navy helped with the control of the crowd
- they pumped water for 24 hours from 36 hoses
- They had 25 mins before the first flames were scene.
- This resorce wasnt useful because it was to long and the audio wasnt clear and hard to hear.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lydia.
    I like the way you layed out you information about The Ballantynes Fire. I think the only thing you need to improve on is probably just re-read you work. you answered all my question so I don't have any. Byee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia,

    I really liked your notes and your predictions, it was very descriptive. I didn't know they had no smoke alarms. Maybe next time you should re-read it. Thank you for reading this. Bye!

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.