Pages

Thursday 12 August 2021

The Napier Earthquake

Predictions- 

What do I think I know about this disaster?
at least 256 people died in the magnitude 7.8. The earthquake was on 1931. New Zealand's deadliest earthquake devastated the cities of Napier and Hastings, Hawke Bay.

What do I think I will find out about this disaster  
I think I will find out something interesting and new!`    

1. at 10:47 on Feb 3rd, 1931 
2. The official death toll was 256. 161 in Napier, 93 in Hastings and 2 in Wairoa
  3. In the botanical gardens and the racecourse in Napier 
4. They were able to rebuild the houses in art Deco style, making it a tourist attraction
5. 2 and a half minutes.
6. Children were sent around NZ because there were no schools for them to go to and no houses for them to live in. Also, it wasn't safe with all the aftershocks.
Notes:
- The veronica bell rings for 2 and a half minutes, the length of the quake
- The HMS Veronica helped the people in the city
- House chimneys fell down, people had to live in tents.
- Cracks in the road and the railroad twisted. - after the quake  
- 256 people were killed! 
- There was a quake followed on with the fire 
- cruises from Auckland had doctors on board to help 
- 6% were taken out of the city
- The water supplies were damaged
- The railway to Wellington were going two days after
- The navy helped clean up after - demolished buildings, supplied food and 
water  
- The nurse home collapsed and many night nurses were killed    
- 1% of population died!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.